Request for Pass/No Pass Grade

Thank you for inquiring about a Pass/No Pass Grade. In order to better assist you with this, please make an appointment with a Counselor so that they can discuss the possible academic ramifications before this petition is granted. You can make an appointment by contacting the Counseling Department at (760) 355-6543.

1. What is Pass/No Pass?

As long as you satisfactorily complete the course (at the "C" or better level), you will receive a "Pass (P)" on your transcript. If you finish the course at the "D" or "F" level, you will receive a "No Pass (NP)" on your transcript. Students may choose this option because it allows them to take courses without worrying about how their performance in these courses (as long as they are confident they can achieve at least a "C") will affect their grade point averages.

2. Are there any disadvantages in choosing the Pass/No Pass option?

Yes. If you get a "NP", you will not receive any units for the course. Also, some specialized programs, like nursing, do not currently accept "P" grades for prerequisite courses. You should consult a counselor before selecting the Pass/No pass option. If you are planning on transferring to an independent or out-of-state college or university, you should check on their policy on using Pass/No Pass in determining GPA.

3. Are there any courses I shouldn't take Pass/No Pass?

Yes. Generally, you shouldn't take courses required for your major as Pass/No Pass. However, UC and CSU will accept a "P" without detriment to your transfer in spring 2020 due to the COVID-19 crisis. It is best to discuss this choice with an IVC counselor before selecting the Pass/No pass option.

4. Will I still receive units for courses taken Pass/No Pass?

Yes, if you receive a "P". No, if you receive a "NP".

5. Will Pass/No Pass affect my grade point average (GPA)?

No, it will not in most instances. While you will receive units for courses completed with a "P", they are not used to compute your IVC grade point average. While CSU & UC will accept a "P" during the COVID-19 crisis without detriment to your transfer, some independent or out-of-state colleges and universities may count a P as a "C" when computing your GPA for admission