- Selection Guidelines
- Request for Materials
- Request for Reconsideration of Materials
- Special Collections
Following Board Policy 4040, the library faculty select materials that support IVC programs of study and the institutional learning outcomes. In order to develop and maintain an inclusive, diverse, and accessible collection, we follow the American Library Association, ACRL Diversity standards, which include:
- Ensuring that the voices of historically oppressed, underrepresented, and underserved groups are represented in the collection.
- Regularly assessing whether the collection reflects the diversity of the current IVC student population.
The library's selection policy reflects the mission of the college, IVC academic and career pathways, and the information needs of students, faculty, and staff.
The library's collection:
- Supports the institution's curricular needs.
- Includes formats that allow for greater access and use by students.
- Provides a balanced collection with diverse and differing points of view or intellectual thought. To achieve this goal, we follow the principles expressed in the American Library Association's Library Bill of Rights:
- Books and other library resources should be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the library serves. Materials should not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation.
- Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval
The library's collection is reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure that the collection meets the current curriculum, learning, career, and overall informational needs of the IVC community. Materials that no longer meet the needs of the community may be removed from the collection. Upon selection and deselection of materials, librarians consider currency, accuracy, relevance, duplication, format, and accessibility.
Request for Materials
Request for Reconsideration of Materials
A person who wishes to request a reconsideration of library material must submit their request using this form. The request will be reviewed by the library faculty who will discuss the addition or withdrawal of materials based on the principles stated in the Library Bill of Rights. The library faculty will make a recommendation to the Director of the Library & Learning Resource Center who is responsible for making the final decision.
The library greatly appreciates the generosity of those wishing to donate materials to the collection. Donations are accepted with the understanding that the donated items may or may not be added to the IVC library collection. Donated items will be added to the collection if they meet the current interests and needs of the IVC community. The library reserves the right to determine the retention, location, and type of use of all donations. The library assumes no responsibility for appraisal of donations, nor can the library accept items under restricted conditions. Donations received by the library that are not added to the library's collection shall be forwarded to the appropriate nonprofit organization for potential use.