Board of Trustees
The Board generally meets at 6:00 P.M. on the third Wednesday of each month in the Imperial Valley College Administration Building Board Room, 380 East Aten Road, Imperial, California. Agendas and minutes for the meetings are posted 72 hours in advance of the meeting and may be reviewed online or requested by phoning 760-355-6219.
The Imperial Community College District's Board of Trustees is an independent policy-making body that reflects the public interest in board activities and decisions. A seven-member Board of Trustees is elected by-trustee area elections. In a by-trustee area election process, candidates for the District's Governing Board of Trustees (the "Board") must reside within a specific geographic subarea of the District called a "trustee area" and candidates are elected only by the voters of that trustee area.
It is the responsibility of each Board member to represent the interests of his or her respective area. Board members take seriously their obligation to represent the overall public interest and to maintain continuity in the leadership of the Imperial Community College District.
According to the Community College League of California, the primary responsibilities of the Governing Board as a unit are to:
- Set the policy direction
- Employ a chief executive officer as the institutional leader
- Act as a community bridge and buffer
- Establish the climate in which educational goals are accomplished
- Define legal, ethical and prudent standards for college operations
- Assure fiscal health and stability
- Maintain standards for good personnel relations
- Monitor institutional performance
- Lead as a thoughtful educated team